Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. PO Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48189
Library Board of Trustees Meeting
July 18, 2023 @ 7:00pm
Present: Jodie Colone, Mary Evergreen, Michaelene Farrell, Bridgette Rosek, Crystal Walter.
Absent: Richelle Hocking.
Also Present: Holly Hentz, Christine Weber.
Call to Order and Pledge to the Flag
This regular meeting of the Hamburg Township Library Board of Trustees was called to order by Farrell at 7:00pm in the Patricia Waters Community Room.
Call to the Public: Each speaker shall be limited to 3 minutes and provide his/her name and residence at the time of public comment. Each speaker may speak one time and may not split the time period. No speaker may assign his/her time to another person. Although not a requirement, groups are encouraged to designate one individual to speak on their behalf to avoid repetitive comments. Members of the Board will not engage in discussion with speakers. All speakers and comments shall be recorded in the minutes.
1) Motion to table the June 2023 Financial Report due to ongoing audit made by Rosek; seconded by Evergreen; Motion carried.
3) Motion to approve Library Voucher #640 in the amount of $64,830.71 made by Evergreen; seconded by Colone; Motion carried.
1) In-house Statistics: 4,075 Patrons Served; 74 New Patrons; 6,241 Item Check-outs, 157 computer uses.
2) Online Statistics: 1,725 Libby; 47 PressReader; 53 Zinio; 25 Fold3; 0 Heritage Quest; 5 Niche Academy.
3) Other News: SRP Update: 292 children registered. Newsletter will be mailed out mid-August.
4) Upcoming Programs
1) Board vacancy beginning August. Due to the resignation of Michaelene Farrell, there will be a vacant seat on the board; the remaining board members will work to fill the vacancy. The Nomination Committee will consist of Jodie Colone & Crystal Walter. The library staff has identified several people who will be invited to interview with the Committee. Hentz will mail out their letters immediately requesting a response by Aug. 1. After all interviews are completed the Committee will make a recommendation to the board.
1) Hentz reviewed her proposed plan for Garden Area along the building by staff windows. Removal of existing compromised/dead bushes and replace with a bench (on poured cement pad) and raised planters on either side of it (annuals with watering line) in front of windows. The board authorized Hentz to move forward with the plan just to develop an estimated cost.
1) Revised By-Laws and Standing Rules outlining Board of Directors Election Process.
2) Annual Meeting 9/13/23 6:00-8:00pm will include 1st Election, soliciting candidates via website, FaceBook & email to membership.
3) Fall Book Sale dates 10/30 - 11/4 during normal Library hours.
4) Garden Committee Update - Sign Garden revamp in process; Holly indicated Horse has been sanded and will be repainted by original artist.
5) Discussing new fundraising ideas - Rummage Sale to coincide with Senior Center Holiday Bazaar in November, Engraved Bricks, Stickers/Magnets, etc. - Crystal Walter saw a metal tree (Howell Nature Center?) with different colored ($ levels) leaves engraved with donor names.
6) Friends program sponsorship has been approved - $400 for Lucky Day and $450 for 2 Fall Programs in MI Architectural Series.
7) Individual Membership count currently 133 with 1st renewal in process
8) Friends will be selling bottled water at 8/5 Concert
Relevant Board Issues
Motion to adjourn the meeting made by Evergreen; seconded by Rosek; Motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 7:59 p.m.
Next Meeting: August 15, 2023 @ 7:00pm