Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. PO Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48189
Library Board of Trustees Meeting
February 21, 2023
Michaelene Farrell called the meeting to order at 7:00pm in the Patricia Waters Community Room.
Present: Jodie Colone, Michaelene Farrell, Mary Evergreen, Richelle Hocking, Bridgette Rosek, Crystal Walter.
Also Present: Holly Hentz, Christine Weber
- Motion to approve the agenda made by J. Colone; seconded by B. Rosek. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve the minutes from January 17, 2023 made by R. Hocking; seconded by C. Walter. Motion carried.
Call to the Public: No public addressed the board.
- Motion to approve the January 2023 Financial Report as presented by C. Weber made by B. Rosek; seconded by M. Evergreen. Motion carried. Motion to move funds as outlined by C. Weber made by R. Hocking; seconded by C. Walter. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve Library Voucher #635 in the amount of $75,868.56 made by M. Evergreen; seconded by R. Hocking. Motion carried.
- In-house Statistics: Patrons served: 3,323; New patrons: 76; Item check-outs: 5,858; Computer Use: 128.
- Online Statistics: Axis360 & Libby: 1358; PressReader & Zinio: 116; Fold 3: 102; Heritage Quest: 6; Infobase: 0; Career Guidance: 0; Niche Academy: 2.
- Other News: 545 Axis360 checkouts + 813 Libby checkouts=1358 total ematerial checkouts for one month – a new record! Library was present at the Community Connect event on 2/4/23, 198 visitors to the booth. Chili cook-off was successful. The winner of the people’s choice is a member of the Spice Club and donated ½ of the winnings to the club.
- Upcoming Programs
- 2/22 Read to Oscar the Dog, 4:30pm
- 2/22 DNA 101, part 2 of genealogy series (virtual), 6:30pm
- 2/24 Drop-In Craft Day for ages 6+, 3:00pm
- 2/25 Phillip J. Hale Jazz Quartet, 2:00pm
- March Food for Thought Food Drive
- 3/2 Jackie’s Book Club: The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill, 1:00pm
- 3/6 Adult Craft Pickup: Pom-Pom Spring Bunny Wreath
- 3/7 Drop-In Genealogy Help, 1:00pm
- 3/11 Family Fun Concert (off site), 10:30am
- 3/13 Great Decisions: War Crime, 1:30pm
- 3/20 American Music Series: Music of the Great Depression, 6:30pm
- 3/21 Spice Club (virtual), 1:00pm
- 3/21 The Purple Gang: Detroit’s Own Prohibition Era Gang (virtual), 6:30pm
- Materials Selection Policy and Request for Reconsideration discussion
- Children’s Room window will be repaired sometime this week.
- Library Collection Update: Hentz reported that both Music CDs & Audio CDs are being checked out less and less. Discussion about the future of these collections.
- Motion to move the March 21st meeting to 6:00pm instead of 7:00pm made by R. Hocking; seconded by M. Evergreen. Motion carried.
- B. Stokanovich has identified high quality dementia & memory care kits. Instead of purchasing the bundle of kits, Stokanovich has been directed to purchase just a few to confirm the quality.
- Motion to purchase two work tables from Library Design Assoc. for Outreach Services work space in the amount of $2,435.00 made by B. Rosek; seconded by C. Walter. Motion carried. Hentz is also looking into obtaining bids for an updated security camera system and repairs to the cracked drywall in the skylight area.
- Debbie Kooperman reporting
- As a result of our 2/1/23 Book Sale Committee meeting, I am pleased to announce 2 great additions to our Friends "team" this month: Patricia Dare has volunteered to be the Friends Facebook Administrator, and Teresa Snyir has volunteered to be the Booksale Committee "Chair in Training".
Other news -
- Renee Lichau has been appointed Vice President (formerly Member At Large) for the remainder of the term!
- We now have 100 Friends members!
- Friends were happy to sponsor the prizes at last week's Chili Cook-off and also help serve chili to our patrons - it was a fun event for the cooks AND the tasters! Library made $779.00.
- March Friends Open House is 3/16/23 6:00-7:30pm - please put this on your calendars and look for an invitation from Judy Webber, we hope you can join us! Lots of accomplishments to celebrate and lots of work to be done in 2023 - Book Sales, Gardens...Little Libraries...
- Spring Book Sale will be here before you know it - donations will be accepted 3/26-3/30, Friends Only pre-sale is 4/1 at 9am-12pm and the sale will be open to the public 4/2-4/8 during normal Library hours (NOTE: closed Friday 4/7 for Good Friday).
Relevant Board Issues
Motion to adjourn the meeting made by B. Rosek; seconded by J. Colone. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:09pm. Next meeting is March 21, 2023 @ 6:00pm.
Acting Recording Secretary