Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. PO Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48189
Library Board of Trustees Meeting
August 15, 2023 @ 7:00pm
This regular meeting of the Hamburg Township Library Board of Trustees was called to order by Richelle Hocking at 7:00pm in the Patricia Waters Community Room.
Present: Jodie Colone, Mary Evergreen, Richelle Hocking, Bridgette Rosek, Crystal Walter
Also Present: Holly Hentz, Christine Weber
1) Motion to approve Agenda as presented made by Colone; Seconded by Rosek. Motion carried.
2) Motion to approve the minutes from July 18, 2023 as presented made by Rosek; Seconded by
Evergreen. Motion carried.
Call to the Public
Matt Assenmacher, Candidate for Library Board.
1) Motion to accept the June 2023 Financial Report made by Walter, seconded by Rosek.
2) Motion to accept the July 2023 Financial Report made by Walter, seconded by
Colone. Motion carried.
3) Motion to roll-over PNC Bank CD at 4.15% made by Rosek; Seconded by Walter. Motion
1) In-house Statistics: 4,006 Patrons Served; 82 New Patrons; 6,914 Item Check-outs, 151 computer uses.
2) Online Statistics: 2,006 Libby;50 PressReader; 85 Zinio; 4 Fold3; 0 Heritage Quest; 34 Tumble Books; 3 Niche Academy.
3) Other News: Newsletter has arrived in mailboxes. Registration begins 8/23/23.
4) Upcoming Programs
- 8/22 Movie Night: Working Girl (1988) @ 5:45pm
- 9/2 Write Club @ 1:00pm
- 9/5 Drop-In Genealogy Help @ 1:00pm
- 9/6 Jackie’s Book Club: The Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley @ 1:00pm
- 9/7 Michigan Architecture Series: Pewabic, Detroit’s Pottery @ 6:30m (sponsored by Friends)
- 9/11 Adult Craft Pickup: Felt Leaf Hoop Art
- 9/11 LapSit @ 10:00am
- 9/11 Great Decisions @ 1:00pm
- 9/11 Story Hour @ 1:30pm
- 9/12 Lego Club @ 3:00pm
- 9/13 Drop-In Tech Help @ 5:30pm
- 9/14 Lil’ Wigglers Baby Time @ 10:00am
- 9/14 Story Hour @ 10:00am
- 9/19 Spice Club: Northern Italy (v) @ 1:00pm
1) Card from M. Farrell.
- Library Design Associates Inc. proposal reviewed with Kyle Haning of Library Design Associates.
- Motion to approve Library Design Associates Inc. Proposal for $180,568.00 made by Colone; Seconded by Walter; Motion carried.
- Motion to approve new end-of-range signage proposal for $9,340.00 made by Colone; seconded by Evergreen; Motion carried.
- Board vacancy Nomination Committee Walter and Colone reported that letters were sent to 12 candidates and eight will be interviewed. They will make a recommendation of two names to the rest of the board for the final decision.
- Hentz explained the proposals for landscape and hardscape for the area under staff windows. Motion to approve Osborne Masonry’s proposal to remove and dispose of bushes, grade area, and pour cement pads for $2,175.00 and checkerboard table and stools and 5 planters from Doty & Sons for $4,145.00 made by Walter; Seconded by Rosek; Motion carried.
- Hentz and Weber explained proposals for work in the Serenity Garden, stepping stone path, retaining wall by storage shed, and small patio in front of the butterfly garden. Motion to approve Leppek Nursery and Garden Center’s proposal for $7,275.00 made by Colone; Seconded by Walter. Motion carried.
Friends Report from Debbie Kooperman
- Continuing preparation for Annual Meeting and Election on 9/13/23; have 4 candidates secured for upcoming election.
- Garden maintenance continues with addition of Iris from Mary Evergreen’s neighbor.
- Upcoming Fundraisers include October Book Sale and November Rummage Sale.
- Possible new Fundraisers - Decal/Bumper Stickers, Button Maker (Buttons, Magnets, Mirrors, Keychains) and Book Clock Class. Board indicated they have been asked about FOHTL T-shirts - perhaps sell iron-on logo onto BYOS?
- Newsletter – A monthly email to all members with accomplishments to date.
Relevant Board Issues
1) A reminder that the audit report will be made at next month’s meeting.
Motion to adjourn the meeting made by Walter; seconded by Rosek; Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:24 p.m.
Next Meeting: September 19, 2023 @ 7:00pm