Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Board of Trustees Meeting
November 17, 2015 @ 7:00pm
Call to Order: Eibler called the meeting called to order at 7:00pm in the library meeting room.
Present: Andy Byerly, Sally Crouch, Peg Eibler, Michaelene Farrell, Richelle Hocking and Jim Katakowski.
Also present: Holly Hentz and Christine Weber.
1) A motion to approve the agenda as presented was made by Crouch. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
2) A motion to approve the minutes from October 20, 2015 meeting as presented was made by Farrell. Seconded by Crouch. Motion carried.
Call to the public
1) A motion to accept the Financial Report for October 2015 was made by Hocking. Seconded by Crouch. Motion carried.
2) A motion to accept Library Voucher #548 in the amount of $55,308.33 was made by Farrell. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
1) Monthly statistics for October:
Averaging 220 per day
62 new patrons
6,993 items checked out
180 ebooks checked out
61 emagazines checked out
376 people used computers
2) Marketing update:
Instagram: 62 followers
Twitter 140 followers
Facebook: 444 followers
Twp. monthly report, Daily Press & Argus “What We’re Reading,” newspaper calendar listings.
3) Book sale update: 258 visitors on Saturday. Made $755.50 on Saturday and an additional $330.00 on Monday. Best book sale to date.
4) Book bag sale update: Have sold 37 bags as of 11/13/15.
5) Food drive & toy drive: Food drive ends 11/21; toy drive runs 11/30 through 12/16.
6) Upcoming programs:
11/17 SCORE small business counseling, Free, 5pm/6pm/7pm
11/19 Thursday Matinee: Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (PG), Free, 1:00pm
11/19 USA Travel on a Budget. Free, 6:30pm
11/21 Saturday Family Cinema: Monkey Kingdom (G), Free, 1:00pm
12/1 Ornament Making for ages up to 4 years, Free, 1:00pm
12/2 Genie’s Book Club: The Curiosity by Stephen P. Kiernan, Free, 1:00pm
12/2 Ornament Making for ages 5 and up, Free, 6:30pm
12/3 Lunch & Learn: Bearclaw Coffee, Free, Noon
12/9 Santa Visits the Library, Free, 6:30pm
1) Credit Card payments to date = $141.77.
1) Motion was made by Eibler, seconded by Hocking, to roll over the CD maturing on December 3, 2015 at PNC Bank at the current amount plus all earned interest at an interest rate of 0.35% for 18 months. Motion carried.
2) A motion to amend the Library Investment Policy by eliminating all text after the first sentence in Item 4 under “Delegation of Authority to Make Investments” was made by Crouch. Seconded by Farrell. Motion carried.
3) A resolution to revise the Patron Behavior Policy was made by Crouch. Seconded by Katakowski. Yeas:6 Nays: 0. Motion carried. See attached for revised text.
Relevant Board Issues
1) United for Libraries: Short takes for Trustees video. Viewed video #2.
2) Holiday closed dates: Nov. 26, 27, Dec. 24, 25, 26 (unpaid), 31, Jan. 1, 2(unpaid)
1) A motion to adjourn was made by Crouch. Seconded by Farrell. Motion carried.
The meeting adjourned at 7:50pm.
Next meeting will be December 15, 2015 at 7:00pm.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
HAMBURG TOWNSHIP LIBRARY
RESOLUTION TO REVISE PATRON BEHAVIOR POLICY
At a regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Hamburg Township Library, County of Livingston, held in the Library on the 17th day of November, 2015 at 7:00 p.m., prevailing Eastern Time.
PRESENT: Byerly, Crouch, Eibler, Farrell, Hocking, Katakowski.
The following preamble and resolution were offered by Crouch and supported by Katakowski:
WHEREAS, the Hamburg Township Library (“Library”) was established under the provisions of Act 164, Michigan Public Acts of 1877, as amended (“Act 164"); and
WHEREAS, the Library previously adopted a Patron Behavior Policy ("Policy") in order to regulate the use of the Library; and
WHEREAS, the Library now desires to amend the Policy in order to provide additional regulation of spaces outside of the Library building; and
WHEREAS, the Library has determined that such amendment is in the best interests of the health, safety and welfare of the Library and its patrons.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED AS FOLLOWS:
1. The Library amends Section III. H as follows:
H. Campaigning, Petitioning, Interviewing and Similar Activities. As a limited public forum, the Library reserves the right to regulate the time, place, and manner for campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey-taking, pamphleteering, canvassing and soliciting on Library grounds as follows:
1. Campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey-taking, pamphleteering, canvassing and soliciting are prohibited inside the Library building.
2. Campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey-taking, pamphleteering, canvassing and soliciting outside the Library building but on Library property are subject to the following requirements:
a. Persons or groups are requested to sign in at the Checkout Desk in advance.
b. Use of the Library property does not indicate the Library’s opposition or endorsement of the candidate or issue that is the subject of the petition, interview, campaign or discussion.
c. Permitted areas for campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey-taking, pamphleteering, canvassing and soliciting outside of the Library building shall be limited to the areas 25 feet from all entrances.
d. No person shall block ingress or egress from the Library building.
e. No person may use or set up a table, stand or similar structure on Library Property as part of or in conjunction with campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey-taking, pamphleteering, canvassing and soliciting.
f. Permitted times will be limited to the operating hours of the Library.
g. Campaign material, literature or petitions may not be brought into the Library, posted at the Library or left on Library Property.
2. The remainder of the Policy shall remain in full force and effect.
3. All resolutions and parts of resolutions insofar as they conflict with the provisions of this resolution shall be and the same hereby are rescinded.
AYES: Byerly, Crouch, Eibler, Farrell, Hocking, Katakowski.
RESOLUTION DECLARED ADOPTED.
STATE OF MICHIGAN )
COUNTY OF LIVINGSTON )
I, the undersigned, the duly qualified and acting Secretary of the Hamburg Township Library, Livingston County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Library Board at a regular meeting held on the 17th day of November, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
Richelle Hocking, Secretary