Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Library Board of Trustees Meeting
June 16, 2021 @ 6:30pm
Meeting called to order by Farrell 6:30pm in Patricia Waters Community Room.
Members present: J. Colone, M. Evergreen, M. Farrell, R. Hocking, B. Rosek, C. Walter.
Member absent: None.
Also present: H. Hentz and C. Weber.
- Motion to approve the agenda as presented made by Hocking. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve the minutes from May 18, 2021 as presented made by Colone. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
Call to the Public
- Pat Hohl, Township Supervisor. A request was made of the library to consider funding the Hamburg Historical Museum as the Township will no longer fund the Museum after December 2021.
- Motion by Rosek to approve the May 2021 Financial Report as presented. Seconded Hocking. Motion carried.
- Motion by Evergreen to approve Library Voucher #615 in the amount of $71,200.94. Seconded Hocking. Motion carried.
- In-house Statistics: 1,313 patron visits; 35 new patrons; 4,778 item check-outs, and 53 computer uses.
- Online Statistics: Axis360: 795; PressReader: 295; Tutor: 0; Infobase: 0; Career Guidance: 0; Niche Academy: 33.
3) Other News: SRP kickoff had approximately 230 participants and we signed up 192 for the reading program. Salvation Army’s Summer Lunch Bunch program is being held in the library parking lot on a weekly basis.
4) Upcoming programs:
- 6/14 SRP: Craft Pick-Up: Adopt-a-Pet, ages 5 and under
- 6/16 Fantastic Insects, zoom program, 6:30pm
- 6/21 Adult Craft Pick-Up: Summertime Tile Coasters
- 6/22 SRP: Storytime in the Garden, 6:30pm
- 6/21 SRP: Craft Pick-Up: Patriotic Popsicle Sticks, ages 6+
- 6/23 Master Gardner & Garden Design Cathy Coulson, zoom program, 6:30pm
- 6/24 SRP: Magician Jeff W., all ages, 2:00pm at the pavilion
- 6/24 SRP: Magic Workshop with Jeff W., ages 7+, 3:30pm, meeting room
- 6/28 SRP: Craft Pick-Up: Fish Painting, ages 5 and under
- 6/30 SRP: Craft Day #1, ages 7+, 2:00pm, meeting room
- 7/6 SRP: Craft Pick-Up: Sidewalk Chalk, ages 6+
- 7/7 Jackie’s Bookclub: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, 1:00pm via zoom
- 7/8 SRP: Storytime in the Garden, 10:00am
- 7/12 Adult Craft Pick-Up:
- 7/12 SRP: Craft Pick-Up: Beaded Snake Craft, ages 5 and under
- 7/13 SRP: Science Alive Animals, ages 7+, 2pm & 3:30pm, meeting room
- 7/14 SRP: Craft Day #2, ages 7+, 6:30pm, meeting room
- 7/14 Pest Management in the Garden w/ David Lowenstein, zoom program, 6:30pm
- 7/19 SRP: Craft Pick-Up: Beaded Animal Craft, ages 6+
- Update: Reopening the library – The board decided to open the library a bit more starting June 28: Lift the inhouse time limit, allow use of the small study rooms, put out one chair at each table throughout the building; two chairs at the bigger tables. The mask requirement will remain in effect for the time being; to be reconsidered at the next board meeting.
- Historical Museum – The board decided to keep with their January decision to not take on the funding responsibility of the Museum. Farrell and Hentz will write a letter to the township and the museum stating the same.
- Millage Discussion – Hentz presented a first draft of millage informational materials. Discussion ensued.
1) CD Maturing – Motion by Evergreen to have Weber investigate and execute the best option for reinvestment of the TCF CD before its maturity date of July 19. Seconded by Walter. Motion carried.
2) Front Garden Bed Maintenance – Motion by Rosek to accept the bid from Osborne Masonry to replace the front garden bed capstones with tapered limestone caps for a cost of $7,475.00. Seconded by Evergreen. Motion carried.
Relevant Board Issues
1) Discussion of the Library Privacy Act will commence at the July meeting.
2) Joan Dombrowski’s retirement as Recording Secretary was celebrated with many thank you’s and show of grateful appreciation.
Motion to adjourn made by Evergreen; seconded by Rosek. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:55pm.
Next Meeting: July 20, 2021 @ 7:00pm