Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Board of Trustees Meeting
February 20, 2018 @ 7:00pm
Meeting called to order by Farrell at 7:00pm in the Patricia Waters Community Room.
Members present: J. Colone, P. Eibler, M. Evergreen, M. Farrell, R. Hocking, J. Katakowski
Member absent: None.
Also present: H. Hentz and C. Weber with guest Kyle Haning of Library Design Assoc.
- Motion to approve the agenda as amended (move Old Business #3 to #1) made by Evergreen. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve the minutes from January 16, 2018 as presented made by Hocking. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
Call to the Public – Limit remarks to 5 minutes
- Motion to accept the Financial Report for January 2018 made by Eibler. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve Library Voucher # 575 in the amount of $74,894.90 made by Evergreen. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
- Monthly statistics: 160 average daily visits; 52 new patrons; 6,149 item check-outs; 606 Axis360 check-outs; 99 Zinio check-outs; 192 Hoopla check-outs; and 267 computer uses.
- Marketing update: Instagram as 109; Twitter at 348; Facebook at 658; 2,217 website uses; 2,351 wifi uses.
- Other news: Ukulele lending was featured in the state-wide Library of Michigan’s January newsletter. Community Connect at Parker Middle School in Howell on Feb. 3. The library booth was visited by about 110 visitors. This event showcases community services to needy people. Pinckney Business Expo on Feb. 17. Holly & Christie were present. Had about 50 visitors at our table. We promoted as many services as possible.
- Upcoming programs
- 2/21 Drop-In Tech Help, Free, 4:00pm to 7:00pm
- 2/22 AARP Tax Assistance, Free, make an appointment
- 2/24 Chili Cook-Off Fundraiser, Free to enter/$3 to vote, Noon-2:00pm
- 2/26 Promoting Social/Emotional Health in Young Children, Free, 6:30pm
- 3/1 Lunch & Learn: Paperclip bookmarks, Free, Noon
- 3/7 Book Club: Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, Free, 1:00pm
- 3/8 AARP Tax Assistance, Free, make an appointment
- 3/13 Railroad History, Free, 6:30pm
- 3/15 Thursday Matinee: Victoria & Abdul (PG13), Free, 1:00pm
- 3/19 Live Performance: Music of the 20s & 30s, Free, 6:30pm
- Renovation project: Library Design Associates has submitted a draft plan for the renovation project. Motion to approve the proposed plan and move forward with the budget portion of the renovation project made by Evergreen. Seconded by Eibler. Motion carried. Motion to hold a special meeting to discuss and approve the budget for the renovation project on Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 7:00pm made by Eibler. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
- Internet service provider: TLN technology dept. visited the library in January. We need to add a backboard with some additional wiring. Ashcott Electrical has submitted a quote. Motion to approve Ashcott Electrical’s quote in an amount not to exceed $ 2050 to provide the backboard, proper grounding, and additional wiring made by Evergreen. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried.
- CDs maturing: Weber reports new CDs have been opened as directed by the Board and that interest rates have increased: Crestmark ($250,000 for 12 months) went from 1.8% to 1.9% and CIBC ($100,000 for 6 months) went from 1.45% to 1.55%.
- Summer Reading Program theme is Rock & Roll: Sing It! Rock It! Read It! The kick-off party is set for Friday, June 8 at 7:00pm. Volunteers should be at the library by 6:30pm.
- Pop-Up Library starting in April or May, depending on weather.
- Hentz submitted a new bulletin board policy for board discussion.
Relevant Board Issues
- Colone talked about Country Elementary’s Poetry Slam on March 6 in the library’s meeting room. All are invited to attend.
Motion to adjourn made by Evergreen. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:21pm.
Next Meeting: March 20, 2018 @ 7:00pm