Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Board of Trustees Meeting
February 16, 2016 @ 7:00pm
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 7:00pm in the library meeting room.
Members present: Andy Byerly, Sally Crouch, Peg Eibler, Michaelene Farrell, Richelle Hocking and Jim Katakowski.
Also present: Holly Hentz, Christine Weber, Patricia Hughes, Deputy Township Clerk and Richard Truxall, INVEST Financial.
1) A motion to approve the agenda as presented was made by Hocking. Seconded by Byerly. Motion carried.
2) A motion to approve the minutes from January 19, 2015 meeting as presented was made by Farrell. Seconded by Byerly. Motion carried.
Call to the public:
1) Patricia Hughes discussed the election process and timeline and detailed correct process to obtain petition signatures. Petition packets were passed out to board members.
2) Richard Truxall of INVEST Financial presented an option to invest the proceeds from the stock donation. Weber presented several investment options from Township-approved banks. Board discussion ensued.
Motion by Byerly to move the stock donation money from INVEST Financial to the library’s PNC Bank checking account and to be held there until a more informed decision can be made on investments. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried.
Motion by Byerly to have Weber investigate investment options of at least four years for the stock donation money. Seconded by Eibler. Motion carried.
Motion by Byerly to remove $100,000.00 from PNC Bank savings account and open a CD at The Private Bank, earning an interest rate of at least 0.85% for 24 months. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
3) Because the Hamburg Family Fun Fest midway activities will be next door to the library this year, Hentz is concerned about the noise and general disturbance. Motion to close the library at 3:00pm on June 15, 16, 17 and close the library for the entire day of June 18 and pay scheduled staff during these closed times made by Eibler. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried.
4) Motion to approve the updated Dress Code Policy as presented made by Byerly. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
1) A motion to accept the Financial Report for January 2016 was made by Hocking. Seconded by Farrell. Motion carried.
2) A motion to accept Library Voucher #551 in the amount of $53,656.46 was made by Farrell. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
1) Statistics, December
Average of 169 patrons per day
E-book circulation was 268
Zinio circulation was 102 issues
New patrons was 30
Items checked-out was 6,384
2) Marketing update:
Instagram: 73 followers, Twitter 172 followers, Facebook: 468 followers
Present at United way’s Community Connect 2/6/16 @ Howell’s Parker Middle School. New billboard at M36 & Merrill celebrating our 50th year of service.
3) Other news: Ordered additional shelves to expand Adult Fiction space.
4) Upcoming Programs:
2/25 Thursday Matinee: A Walk in the Woods, Free, 1:00pm
2/25 Resume Tips, Free, 6:30pm
2/29 Reading Month Madness, runs to April 11(coincides with March Madness)
3/2 Book Club: The Martian, Free, 1:00pm
3/4 Ann Arbor Symphony, Free, 6:00pm
3/5 Saturday Family Cinema: Tomorrowland, Free, 1:00pm
3/7 Monday Movies: The Martian, Free, 6:00pm
3/9 ABCs of Early Literacy, Free, 6:30pm
3/10 Lunch & Learn: Spring Clean Your Clutter, Free, noon
3/12 Better Made in Michigan, Free, 1:00pm
3/14 Retirement Mapping, Free, 6:00pm
3/16 Livingston Reads evening book discussion: The Martian, Free, 6:30pm
3/17 WWII in Detroit, Free, 6:30pm
3/21 Monday Movies: E.T., Free, 6:00pm
1) Thank you card from Stella Campbell’s family.
1) A motion to replace the power backup server for $1,297.00 in parts and $345.00 in labor for a total of $1,642.00 was made by Byerly. Seconded by Eibler. Motion carried.
2) A motion to offer public printing from wireless devices by purchasing and installing a new print server for $1,331.00 in parts and $460.00 in labor for a total of $1,791.00 was made by Katakowski. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
3) Byerly, Hentz, and Weber attended a program on planned giving on 1/29/16. This program led to a lot of discussions regarding how we can market planned giving or leaving a legacy in a will. Bookmarks and brochures were passed around for discussion.
Relevant Board Issues
1) United for Libraries: Short takes for Trustees video postponed to March meeting.
1) A motion to adjourn was made by Katakowski. Seconded by Farrell. Motion carried.
The meeting adjourned at 9:01pm. Next meeting will be March 15, 2016 at 7:00pm.