Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Board of Trustees Meeting
August 21, 2018 @ 7:00pm
Meeting called to order by Farrell at 7:00pm in the Patricia Waters Community Room.
Members present: J. Colone, P. Eibler, M. Evergreen, M. Farrell, J. Katakowski.
Member absent: R. Hocking.
Also present: H. Hentz and C. Weber.
- Motion to approve the agenda as presented made by Evergreen. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve the minutes from July 17, 2018 as presented made by Colone. Seconded by Eibler. Motion carried.
Call to the Public – Limit remarks to 5 minutes.
- Motion to accept the Financial Report for June 2018 made by Katakowski. Seconded by Evergreen. Motion carried. Weber noted the library saved $6,697.38 due to the LED lighting project.
- Motion to move $50,830.00 to the Board Assigned Building Facilities Development fund and $20,000.00 to the Board Assigned Program & Services Development fund made by Katakowski. Seconded by Eibler. Motion carried.
- Motion to accept the Financial Report for July 2018 made by Eibler. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve Library Voucher # 581 in the amount of $67,012.95 made by Evergreen. Seconded by Eibler. Motion carried.
- Monthly statistics: 204 average daily visits; 84 new patrons; 8,246 item check-outs; 738 Axis360 check-outs; 81 Zinio check-outs; 318 Hoopla check-outs; and 348 computer uses.
- Marketing update: Instagram at 116; Twitter at 362; Facebook at 728; 2,355 website uses; 3,363 wifi uses. The library was present on 8/3/18 at Senior Power Day with about 300 visitors. Hentz was present at the 8/24/18 candidate forum and also handed out “Informed Voter” brochures.
- Other news: New page, Elsa O’Brien has been hired to replace Keegan Carriveau.
- Upcoming programs:
- 8/23 Preschool Movie: Lady & the Tramp, Free, 10:00am
- 9/5 Book Club: My Name is Memory, Free, 1:00pm
- 9/10 LapSit starts, Free, 10:00am & Monday Storyhour starts, Free, 1:30pm
- 9/10 Great Decisions, Free, 1:30pm
- 9/11 Lost Towns of Michigan, Free, 6:30pm
- 9/13 Lil’ Wigglers Baby Time & Thursday Storyhour starts, Free, 10:00am
- 9/13 Lunch & Learn: Jewelry Making, $8, noon
- 9/17 How to Start and Grow Your Small Business, Free, 6:30pm
- 9/19 Teen Movie: Ready Player One, Free, 5:30pm
- 9/20 Thursday Matinee: Lady Bird, Free, 1:00pm
- Renovation Project: Part 2 is scheduled to begin Sept. 10 and end Sept. 18. Motion to close the library Tuesday, Sept. 18 for reorganization made by Colone. Seconded by Evergreen. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve the addition to the Internet Use Policy to make the policy compliant with CIPA as discussed made by Evergreen. Seconded by Colone. Motion carried.
- Board reviewed and discussed the Needs Assessment Survey.
- Penal fine discussion. Hentz & Weber attended a penal fine webinar that explained the drop in the annual amount in the past few years:
- Social justice - more courts are creating other ways for people to work off their convictions instead of paying fines like community service, specific courts like sobriety court, drug court, family court, etc. This amounts to less money.
- Parallel ordinances - this is where a local municipality will pass an ordinance that is similar to state statute. When the cop writes a ticket and cites the local ordinance rather than the state statute, the $$$ go to the municipality instead of the county’s penal fine fund. It is a way for municipalities to make more money & recoup lost shared revenue dollars.
- Motion to close the library Saturday, Dec. 22 and Saturday, Dec. 29 as unpaid days made by Evergreen. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried.
Relevant Board Issues
- The annual Halloween Party is Saturday, Oct. 20 at 7:00pm. Volunteers include Amir, Michaelene & Mike, and Mary.
- The annual Trustees & Directors meeting has been schedule for Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 7:00pm at the new Fowlerville District Library.
Motion to adjourn made by Evergreen. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:00pm.
Next Meeting: September 18, 2018 @ 7:00pm