Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Board of Trustees Meeting
August 15, 2017 @ 7:00pm
Call to Order: Meeting called to order at 7:00pm in the library meeting room.
Members present: Mary Evergreen, Richelle Hocking, Michaelene Farrell, and Jim Katakowski.
Absent: Jodie Colone and Peg Eibler.
Also present: Holly Hentz and Christine Weber.
- A motion to approve the agenda as presented was made by Hocking. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried.
- A motion to approve the minutes from July 18, 2017 meeting as presented was made by Katakowski. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
Call to the public
- Mary Ann Waters spoke and Katie Waters spoke on behalf of the Scrap-A-Holics’ memebrs and their use of a library room for their various charity and fellowship activities.
- Christie Wagner and Carol Bossio addressed the board with information on the various children’s programs held at the library throughout the year. They made the point that young children's programs use the same room that the Scarp-A-Holic group uses for their projects and the safety concern that exists when straight pins are found on the carpet.
- A motion to accept the Financial Report for June 2017 was made by Evergreen. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried. The board approved to increase the Board Assigned Fund account by $82,500.
- A motion to accept the Financial Report for July 2017 was made by Hocking. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried.
- A motion to accept Library Voucher # 569 in the amount of $76,121.39 was made by Evergreen. Seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
Statistics: 199 visits per day, 74 new patrons, 7,836 item check-outs, 563 Axis360 check-outs, 52 zinio check-outs, 280 computer uses, 42 children’s computer uses, 26 Hoopla check-outs.
Marketing update: Instagram: 98 followers; Twitter 313 followers; Facebook: 599 followers; Website 2,099; Wireless 3,237. The library was given the opportunity to advertise for free on the Hamburg Twp. Disc Golf course score cards (example will be shown next month), and the fall newsletter will be mailed out next week.
Other News: The needs assessment survey has been included in the fall newsletter. It is also available online. The library now offers Hoopla. This digital service allows patrons to borrow movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, comics, and TV shows.
- 8/24 Thursday matinee: La La Land (PG 13), Free, 1;00 PM
- 9/6 Library Book Club: The 100 Year Old Man…by Jonasson, 1:pm
- 9/11 Estate Planning, Free 6:30pm
- 9/11 All Storytime start this week. Free
- 9/12 Iconic Restaurants of Ann Arbor, Free, 6:30pm
- 9/14 Lunch & Learn: Women Traveling Solo, Free, Noon 6:00pm
- 9/18 Maker Monday, Winterize Your Garden, Free, 6:30pm
- Lighting replacement project almost completed. There are a few emergency lights that need some extra parts and some recessed lights that were not counted in the original quote.
- The outdoor storage shed project begins August 21 and expected completion date is October 1, 2017.
- Hentz addressed the problems and solutions for the Scrap-A-Holics’ use of the library meeting rooms. Hentz listed the proposed solutions: All members of the Scrap-A-Holics are to use flat head pins; all members are to use the long handled magnet when cleaning up their space at the end of each Tuesday meeting; there will be no use of pins on the east side of the meeting room; establish an inclusive communication method among members and library staff. A motion that all Scrap-A-Holics members must abide by the above guidelines was made by Hocking. Seconded by Katakowski. Motion carried. Issue will be revisited at the September meeting.
- Annual Trustees & Directors workshop is scheduled for November 1 @ Howell Library. Katakowski, Hocking, Farrell, Weber, and Hentz to attend. Eibler and Colone will respond next month. More details to follow.
Relevant Board Issues
- Members are to bring the year-end Financial Statement for the Audit Report September 19, 2017 Board meeting.
A motion to adjourn was made by Katakowski. Seconded by Evergreen. Motion carried.
The meeting adjourned at 7:50 pm.
Next meeting will be September 19, 2017 @ 7:00pm.