Hamburg Township Library
10411 Merrill Rd. P.O. Box 247
Hamburg, MI 48139
Board of Trustees Meeting
April 15, 2014 @ 7:00pm
Call to Order at 7:00pm in Group Study Room B
Members present: M. Eibler, S. Crouch, M. Farrell, R. Hocking, A. Byerly
Member Absent: J. Katakowski.
Also Present: H. Hentz, C. Weber
Motion to approve the agenda was made by Byerly; seconded by Crouch. Motion passed.
Motion to approve the minutes from March 18, 2014 made by Hocking; seconded by Farrell. Motion passed.
Call to the Public: None present.
- Motion to accept the financial report for March 2014 made by Hocking; seconded by Byerly. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve Library Voucher # 529 in the amount of $46,367.05 made by Farrell; seconded by Hocking. Motion carried.
- New social media sites: Twitter (twitter.com/htltweets) and Instagram (Instagram.com/hamburglibrary) have been started.
- The library will be present at both the Hamburg and Pinckney Memorial Day parades. Hentz is will supply information on the Hamburg parade as soon as it is known. The Pinckney parade gathers at the old depot on D19 at 11:00am and starts at 1:00pm. All library representatives will be wearing library tee shirts.
- Hamburg Historical Museum will be closing in June. The Board discussed how to support the Museum in its closing operations while maintaining, and operating within, general library objectives. A motion to support the Museum in the following ways was made by Byerly; supported by Hocking. Motion carried: 1) The library will house the local history files and binders Suzanne Hines and her team have assembled over the years. This amounts to about 8 file drawers and several 3-ring binders, all of which can easily be stored at the library. Hines has already started the digitizing process and very much wants to continue it at the library. We plan to digitize the information, this will take about a year, and make it available on the library’s local history website so that researches will have 24/7/365 access to it without having to come to the library. Stokanovich has already digitized well over 100 local history photos with this project in mind. She and Hines will be working together, with some of the historical society board members lending a hand. 2) When the museum closes in June, Stokanovich will be spending some time evaluating the museum’s books to determine what should be added to the library’s current local history collection. We have ample space on existing shelves to accommodate these additions. 3) Hines will work with library staff to develop and host local history programs and events at the library.
- Kids Craft Sale is being held during the spring book sale, April 26. To date, there are 10 children registered to sell their crafts. This is the first of an annual event.
- Proposed 2014/2015 Budget was presented to the board for discussion.
Relevant Board Issues
- Millage informational meetings have been set for the following dates: Wednesday, June 25 at 1:00pm, Thursday, July 10 at 7:00pm, and Saturday, July 19 at noon. All meetings will be in the library meeting room and open to the public.
A motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Eibler; seconded by Crouch. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:20pm. Next meeting is May 20, 2014.